Login Main site Create account

29.05.2007 16:34

Linux 2.6.22 breaks the Cisco VPN client again - here's the one and only patch

============================== ATTENTION ==============================
This article is _OUTDATED_. No more patches needed for the new Cisco VPN-Client for Linux (v4.8.01.0640-k9).
See the links section for download information.
============================== ATTENTION ==============================

Today I got an e-mail from someone having problems compiling the Cisco VPN client on Linux 2.6.22-rc3. I heard some rumors about network cleanups etc. in the new version of the Linux kernel but didn't pay attention to it until now.
Infact, some things regarding the "sk_buff" structure have been changed and therefore quite some work was needed to make the Cisco VPN client compatible again.

The new patch is backwards compatible and can also be applied for kernel versions below 2.6.22 (that means it incorporates the changes made for 2.6.19 too) and therefore this one is the one and only VPN client patch around here.

If you already patched your VPN Client, you need to undo the previous patch before applying the new one or simply untar the installation archive again into a new directory and apply the new patch onto it.

Installation instructions:
1. Untar the VPN Client
# tar xzf vpnclient-linux-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz

2. Download the patch
# wget -q http://tuxx-home.at/projects/cisco-vpnclient/vpnclient-linux-2.6.22.diff

3. Change to the vpnclient directory
# cd vpnclient

4. Apply the patch
# patch <../vpnclient-linux-2.6.22.diff
patching file frag.c
patching file interceptor.c
patching file IPSecDrvOS_linux.c
patching file linuxcniapi.c
patching file linux_os.h

Now the patch has been applied and you can safely install the client
#./vpn_install

Downloads:

References:

Links:
============================== ATTENTION ==============================
See the links section for download information.
============================== ATTENTION ==============================

Comments added earlier to http://tuxx-home.at/archives/2007/05/29/T16_34_26/index.html:
Guest on 2007-05-29 19:30:26 wrote:
Klappt vom feinsten! Danke! :)
Guest on 2007-06-04 04:51:49 wrote:
Thanks very much - this works, *however* I have to disable all but the interface I want to use... I did not have to do this before the kernel changes and this patch. Since I run VMware (which installs a couple of virtual network cards) this means I can't establish a VPN connection while running VMware. If I disable VMware's networking I still have to manually "ifdown" my other (wired or wireless) interface. Any chance this can be addressed?

Thanks!
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-04 09:45:07 wrote:
This seems to be a bug inside the VPN client itself. Some users reported
to have this problem with 2.6.19 and the old patch too, so it has not been
introduced by the new patch nor by the new kernel.

I think I know where this all comes from, but as I'm not able to reproduce
this problem on my machine, it's hard to debug...

Please contact me via e-mail so maybe with your help we can track this
down.
Guest on 2007-06-07 20:01:31 wrote:
Any chance you can update your patch for a clean install of fc7? Upgrading from fc6 to fc7 and patching still works. Clean install of fc7, none of the patches work.

r0ckwell
(www.bitbucketblog.com)
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-07 23:11:14 wrote:
If you tell me what went wrong on fc7, I'm sure able to do this, but as I don't
have FC* installed anywhere on my systems, I can't try to compile it there.

Please send me an e-mail with additional information (e.g. what went wrong,
error messages, what you tried to do and how you did that, etc.) and I'll see
what I can do for you.
Guest on 2007-06-08 03:34:40 wrote:
Worked for me on feisty. Thanks much!!!
--LabThug
Guest on 2007-06-11 22:12:58 wrote:
Just tried on my clean install of fedora7 on my compaq notebook and it worked fine!
Thank you very mutch for this precious patch!
Marco
Guest on 2007-06-11 22:46:46 wrote:
I have FC6 with all of the updates as of today. When I apply the patch it compiles with only warnings but when I try and load the module it fails. Help!<BR /><BR />Making module<BR />make -C /usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686 SUBDIRS=/root/vpn/new/vpnclient modules<BR />make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686\'<BR /> CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o<BR /> CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/frag.o<BR /> CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o<BR /> CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.o<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‚handle_vpnup‚:<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:322: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:346: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:347: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‚do_cleanup‚:<BR />/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:390: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type<BR /> CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o<BR /> LD [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o<BR /> Building modules, stage 2.<BR /> MODPOST 1 modules<BR />WARNING: /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between \'interceptor_dev\' (at offset 0xb4) and \'interceptor_notifier\'<BR />WARNING: could not find /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/libdriver.so<BR /> CC /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o<BR /> LD [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko<BR />make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686\'<BR />Copying module to directory \"/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6/CiscoVPN\".<BR />Already have group \'bin\'<BR /><BR />Creating start/stop script \"/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init\".<BR /> /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init<BR />Enabling start/stop script for run level 3,4 and 5.<BR /><BR />Installing license.txt (VPN Client license) in \"/opt/cisco-vpnclient/\":<BR /><BR />Installing bundled user profiles in \"/etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient/Profiles/\":<BR />* Replaced Profiles: sample<BR /><BR />Copying binaries to directory \"/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin\".<BR />Adding symlinks to \"/usr/local/bin\".<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cisco_cert_mgr<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/ipseclog<BR />Copying setuid binaries to directory \"/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin\".<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd<BR />Copying libraries to directory \"/opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib\".<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib/libvpnapi.so<BR />Copying header files to directory \"/opt/cisco-vpnclient/include\".<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/include/vpnapi.h<BR /><BR />Setting permissions.<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd (setuid root)<BR /> /opt/cisco-vpnclient (group bin readable)<BR /> /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient (permissions not changed)<BR />* You may wish to change these permissions to restrict access to root.<BR />* You must run \"/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start\" before using the client.<BR />* This script will be run AUTOMATICALLY every time you reboot your computer.<BR />You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root<BR />[root@web01 vpnclient]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/vpnclient_init start<BR />Starting /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient: insmod: error inserting \'/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko\': -1 Invalid module format<BR />Failed (insmod)<BR />
Guest on 2007-06-11 22:48:13 wrote:
Sorry, lets try thing again:

Making module
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686'
CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o
CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/frag.o
CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o
CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.o
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‚handle_vpnup‚:
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:313: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:337: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:338: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c: In function ‚do_cleanup‚:
/root/vpn/new/vpnclient/interceptor.c:386: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
CC [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o
LD [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .data between 'interceptor_dev' (at offset 0xb4) and 'interceptor_notifier'
CC /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o
LD [M] /root/vpn/new/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6-i686'
Copying module to directory "/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6/CiscoVPN".
Already have group 'bin'

Creating start/stop script "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init".
/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init
Enabling start/stop script for run level 3,4 and 5.

Installing license.txt (VPN Client license) in "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/":

Installing bundled user profiles in "/etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient/Profiles/":
* Replaced Profiles: sample

Copying binaries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin".
Adding symlinks to "/usr/local/bin".
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cisco_cert_mgr
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/ipseclog
Copying setuid binaries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin".
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd
Copying libraries to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib".
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/lib/libvpnapi.so
Copying header files to directory "/opt/cisco-vpnclient/include".
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/include/vpnapi.h

Setting permissions.
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/cvpnd (setuid root)
/opt/cisco-vpnclient (group bin readable)
/etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient (permissions not changed)
* You may wish to change these permissions to restrict access to root.
* You must run "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start" before using the client.
* This script will be run AUTOMATICALLY every time you reboot your computer.
Guest on 2007-06-11 22:49:40 wrote:
Then when trying to start it all I get is:

[root@web01 vpnclient]# /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
Starting /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient: insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2952.fc6/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko': -1 Invalid module format
Failed (insmod)
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-11 23:13:34 wrote:
Alright, the reason for this maybe that the VPN client's kernel module "cisco_ipsec.ko" was compiled with a different gcc version than your kernel and
therefore it is incompatible to your running kernel.

"Invalid module format" can have multiple meanings, please examine your
`dmesg` output after trying to insert the kernel module for additional information on about why it fails to load on your system.

For further assistance, please contact me via e-mail as the comments system
on my website is not really designed for debugging problems ;)
Guest on 2007-06-19 16:16:41 wrote:
Hi, this is what dmesg says after failed insmod on FC6, 2.6.20-1.2952:
cisco_ipsec: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
It seems that there is problem with versions of ???.
May be something in cisco_ipsec.mod.c... Any idea?
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-19 17:37:48 wrote:
This means that probably the kernel sources have changed or the
installed kernel was not compiled from your installed kernel sources.

This can have several reasons, so to be sure, do the following:
* Install the latest available kernel source
* Install the latest available kernel image (should be built upon the above mentioned source)
* Recompile the cisco_ipsec.ko with the new sources/images in place

BTW: Searching for "disagrees about version of symbol struct_module" in Google returns tons of results ;)
Guest on 2007-06-20 12:30:58 wrote:
Hi,
all the installation worked on my macbook (ubuntu 7.04, 2.6.20-15) (only a couple of warnings) but when I run $ vpnclient I get a "bash: vpnclient: no such file or directory" error, the file is there however and it is not the permission of the file either. Is the installation coming up with some corrupted file?
Thanks,
Oliver
ps I did the same installation successfully on another laptop (same kernel) ...
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-21 08:25:29 wrote:
Please check your PATH variable and verify, that the directory where the
vpnclient binary is installed is included in your PATH variable.
Additionally, it may be possible, that your vpnclient binary does not have
the execution bit set and therefore can't be executed.

Usually, the vpnclient gets installed to /usr/local/bin/vpnclient therefore
the path /usr/local/bin should be mentioned in your $PATH variable.
Guest on 2007-06-21 08:35:50 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I checked all this before the first post already. I fixed the problem now by removing the 64bit version of ubuntu and installing the standard 32bit version. Everything works fine on the standard version. I guess the 64 bit version of the vpnclient does not work properly with the patch, not on my macbook anyways. But 32bit version will do, so thanks again, Oliver.
Alexander Griesser on 2007-06-21 09:05:05 wrote:
Well, it should work on 64bit too (many users reported this already). So I guess it might be a problem with your very system.
Guest on 2007-06-22 08:55:17 wrote:
The patch worked for me on Feisty when I ifconfig-down'ed all but one non-local network interface, as was reported by another user above. Your effort is much appreciated!
Guest on 2007-07-08 17:03:05 wrote:
Guest on 2007-07-16 14:21:47 wrote:
Firstly, thanks for your patches - they've sorted out the broken install problem.

I have the same ubuntu 7.04 64-bit problem as "Guest on 2007-06-20 12:30:58" (with kernel 2.6.20-16): running the client returns the "bash: vpnclient: no such file or directory" error.

Again all permissions and $PATH are fine.

Did anyone work out how to fix this? Don't really want to uninstall my 64bit ubuntu :) Thank you.
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-16 22:13:20 wrote:
Maybe there are some libraries missing? Bash sometimes
spits out curious messages when things go wrong.

Best would be to write me an e-mail with the output of
the command `ldd $(which vpnclient)` and `file $(which vpnclient)`.

This comment system is not suitable for debugging such issues ;)
Guest on 2007-07-17 14:17:40 wrote:
Thanks Alexander! - yes it was missing /lib/ld-linux.so.2 - I installed lib32gcc1 (gcc 32-bit compatibility library) and it's now sorted.

Many thanks once again and I promise I shall debug you no longer ;)
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-17 14:19:17 wrote:
Ah, alright :) Good to know that, thanks for reporting success!
Guest on 2007-07-21 21:44:28 wrote:
Alexander,

thanks for your work with this. Just to let you know, it works fine
on Slackware 12.0 running 2.6.22.1.

Cheers.

Jim
Guest on 2007-07-23 11:13:42 wrote:
Thank you for your fine work!
Jan
Guest on 2007-07-24 03:34:36 wrote:
Works well on 2.6.20 gentoo amd64
Thanks a lot!
Guest on 2007-07-25 08:47:41 wrote:
Thank you for your patches. After compiling the module, I faced that 'Invalid module format' format.
After checking everything, kernel and source versions (2.6.22.2mdv), compiler (gcc-4.2.1-3mdv), etc, I did a ./vpn_uninstall and make clean inside the vpnclient directory.
Now the module can be compiled, inserted, removed and I can use the client.
Guest on 2007-07-26 11:06:55 wrote:
Guest on 2007-07-25 02:24:24 wrote:
hi there,

I have the problem, that whenever I want to start VPN client I get

Initializing the VPN connection.
Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client
Reason: Failed to establish a VPN connection.
There are no new notification messages at this time.

:-(
I have no Idea why, I googled around, but this did not help. I am running Open SUSE Linux 10.2 (2.6.18.2-34-default)

As I am running a Linux < 2.6.22, I guess it would make no sense to install the patch...

However: Does anybody has an idea?

Thank you a lot!
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-26 13:23:29 wrote:
Have you tried to disable all other network interfaces (via ifdown, f.ex.) as
mentioned in one of the first comments on this side?
Guest on 2007-07-26 17:56:41 wrote:
Running Arch Linux here... our kernel-headers package is still on 2.6.21. Won't compile the cisco_ipsec module correctly.
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-26 22:26:18 wrote:
Well, then please send me an e-mail with the compiler
output so that I can see what went wrong and how to patch it.

Usually, the kernel-headers package is not suitable for
compiling kernel modules to your running kernel.
Guest on 2007-07-31 00:35:28 wrote:
Thanks for this work. I tried a couple of weeks ago to install vpn on my new F7 machine, and got the sk_buff error message. I will try this tonight, but I expect problem with IPTABLES. Do you have any recommended -iptables instructions to allow VPN to do its tunneling job ?

Thanks again
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-31 16:12:59 wrote:
Basically, traffic to the cipsec0 device should be allowed, as well as traffic from
the cipsec0 device to your machine.

For the tunnel to come up you might need to allow outgoing connections to your
VPN gateway depending on what kind of tunneling you are using (transparent
tunneling over UDP, TCP tunneling, etc.).
Guest on 2007-07-31 17:39:39 wrote:
Hi again,

thanks for the advice. To be honest I do not really know how to allow traffic to the cipsec0 device, but the instructions I have from the company source for VPN does talk about iptable settings. The good news is that I did not seem to need to do anything. I installed the patch without problems last night and inspite of some warning messages during the installation, VPN is running just fine on my new F7 box. The VPN version was x86_64-4.8.00.049-k9, whatever that means. I did save the installation messages if you would like to see them, just in case the warnings are relevant.

Peter
Alexander Griesser on 2007-07-31 18:47:04 wrote:
That's good to hear. I think they just mentioned iptables in case anyone has an active firewall on his system to take care of that.

Regarding the warnings during compilation: That's ok, don't worry.
Guest on 2007-08-03 23:18:55 wrote:
Alexander,
First, I want to thank you for the great work. Now I can VPN into my corporate LAN from my Linux machine now.
However, I'm still having DNS issue. I checked the Andy Ritger's patch as well. It appears to me it is already included in your patch. After I connected to the corporate LAN, my /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
domain itlogon.com
nameserver 68.87.76.178
nameserver 68.87.78.130
search itlogon.com comcast.net
It looks like this originally:
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search comcast.net
nameserver 68.87.76.178
nameserver 68.87.78.130
Well, it had the domain name changed, however the DNS servers are not touched for whatever reason. Since I'm not a "real geek knows all these funny numbers inside out", I'd like to have that fixed if possible.
Btw, I want to mention that we're using split tunneling in the VPN, I'm not sure whether it makes any difference.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Guest on 2007-08-04 08:47:06 wrote:
I found my problem. My company is using split DNS as well as split tunneling. The DNS works properly now after I asked the VPN administrator temporally disabled split DNS in the VPN concentrator.
I guess the Linux client doesn't support split DNS. I can find this out from Cisco.
Alexander Griesser on 2007-08-04 16:18:35 wrote:
Well, it works on my system.
If only the domain has changed in your resolv.conf, it is likely that the VPN
concentrator doesn't send you new domain name servers along with your
DHCP lease.
Guest on 2007-08-07 09:31:01 wrote:
Cheers, patch works perfectly. Clean install of Fedora 7,
Guest on 2007-08-07 20:48:04 wrote:
works perfectly with 2.6.22.1! Thanks!
Guest on 2007-08-19 00:02:03 wrote:
Perfect ! Great work, thanks a lot !
Guest on 2007-08-22 11:13:26 wrote:
Hi Alexander,
days ago my Linux FC7 was updated with the latest kernel (the 2.6.22.1-41.fc7).
Trivial I had to re-install the cisco vpnclient (from the same vpnclient-linux-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz sources and patched as usual with your great latest diff file).
Compile was ok and the module fit properly into the kernel.
Btw, once connected to the vpn server, my system becomes no able to exit towards the net (for example, the /sbin/route command hangs on reply to the shell and write the routing table after ten of seconds...).
Nothing is changed on my FC7 apart the kernel, before the vpn connection worked fine :-(

Any suggestions? comments?
Many thanks everybody wants to share here opinions on that or share similar experiences.
Guest on 2007-08-29 17:08:22 wrote:
Thanks for the useful patch! : )
-Adelein
Guest on 2007-08-30 05:17:33 wrote:
Thank you very much! Works like a charm.
Guest on 2007-09-14 02:43:48 wrote:
I had to make a change to the vpn concentrator to sent a search domain because it left the old search domain in resolv.conf. Also, I had to ifdown my eth0 which was not in use. If I did not, it would never connect. With these two changes, though, it appears to work just fine. I have tried the patched vpn client on two different kernels, 2.6.17 and 2.6.20 - both work well. "route -e" hangs though - it takes a very, very long time to finish.
Guest on 2007-09-20 02:45:03 wrote:
Just a quick thanks - worked like a charm!
--Dan at cylinder dot org (remove the CY from the domain name)
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn guest within VMWare Workstation 6
Guest on 2007-10-02 13:55:26 wrote:
GREAT WORK!

worked for me on kubuntu gutsy, kernel: 2.6.22-12-generic

THANKS! :-D
Mo
Alexander Griesser on 2007-10-02 14:28:12 wrote:
Thanks for this feedback, but this patch is not necessary anymore since Cisco
has release a new version of the Cisco VPN client. Please have a look at the
"Links" section above for the link + release notes to the new Cisco VPN client.
Guest on 2007-10-03 08:06:07 wrote:
Thank you! This works beautifully.

Mike
Guest on 2007-10-21 14:53:00 wrote:
Awesome.

Works as expected using vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz and Ubuntu Gutsy with Kernel 2.6.22-14-386.

Thanks!
Guest on 2007-10-29 02:52:59 wrote:
There may be an updated client, but my uni is distributing an older version. For whatever unfathomable reason, our network won't talk to the new client, but thanks to this patch I can install and get to work. Thanks!
Alexander Griesser on 2007-10-29 09:46:05 wrote:
You're welcome.
BTW: This patch still is necessary when installing on 64bit architectures as the
new vpnclient (4.8.01) refuses to compile on 64bit archs.
Guest on 2007-11-07 22:29:07 wrote:
I got a problem with .vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9 and my latest kernel. The module wound load. Can anybody help? Thanks.

[root@wallence vpnclient]# /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
Starting /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient: insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.23.1-21.fc7/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko': -1 Invalid module format
Failed (insmod)

[root@wallence vpnclient]# modinfo /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-21.fc7/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-21.fc7/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko
license: Proprietary
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 SMP mod_unload 386 4KSTACKS

Alexander Griesser on 2007-11-08 06:30:12 wrote:
That sounds like as if you compiled your kernel with a different kernel source than the one that is currently installed.

Please have a look at the `dmesg` output right after you get this "invalid module format" message and it should contain
some details about why the kernel refuses to load this module.
Guest on 2007-11-08 18:11:19 wrote:
Yes, it looks bad. But I only did a "normal" yum update from Fedora and got into this. Probably something was broken with the last kernel. Right?

dmesg message:
cisco_ipsec: version magic '2.6.23.1-21.fc7 SMP mod_unload 386 4KSTACKS ' should be '2.6.23.1-21.fc7 SMP mod_unload 686 4KSTACKS '
Alexander Griesser on 2007-11-08 19:43:13 wrote:
Even a "normal" yum update might update your kernel images and sources too, which means when you installed the Cisco VPN client, you had a different kernel image in place and now the cisco_ipsec.ko module refuses to load because it has been compiled for a "different" kernel.

To get it working again, you simply need to reinstall the cisco vpnclient (respectively rebuild the cisco_ipsec.ko module) and everything should be fine again.
Guest on 2007-11-18 06:08:28 wrote:
Thanks..... it works great on gutsy kernel 2.6.22-14
Guest on 2007-11-26 08:07:27 wrote:
Hi,

Can Any pls help me installing cisco vpn client with kernel version 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 . It was working fine with earlier kernel but as soon as updated to new kernel it isnt working . Pls help.

Regards,
Alexander Griesser on 2007-11-26 08:39:10 wrote:
What does "not working" mean?
Please checkout http://projects.tuxx-home.at/?id=cisco_vpn_client and if this
doesn't help you, drop me an e-mail.
Guest on 2007-11-26 12:25:55 wrote:
Hi ,
Thanks for the quick response . Pls find the error msg below.
Making module
./driver_build.sh
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version BUILDVER_STRING
Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
usage:
./driver_build.sh 'kernel_src_dir'

'kernel_src_dir' is the directory containing the linux kernel sour
ce

Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Pls help me to resolve the issue.

rgds,
Guest on 2007-11-26 12:42:35 wrote:
Hi ,

i tried with version Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.00 (0490) Linux Installer as mentioned in ur site.

Regards,
venu
Alexander Griesser on 2007-11-26 13:10:02 wrote:
As I already replied via e-mail (just to let other users know too):
The problem is that the kernel source of your running kernel isn't installed and
therefore the VPN client installer is unable to compile the cisco_ipsec.ko kernel
module.

BTW: There's a new version of the cisco vpn client available which can be
downloaded from my projects page:

Guest on 2007-11-27 07:08:27 wrote:
Dear Mr.Alexander

I tried with the new version cisco vpn client also but i got the same error. I have downloaded from above link given by u.
Error:
./vpn_install
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.01 (0640) Linux Installer
Copyright (C) 1998-2006 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

By installing this product you agree that you have read the
license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with
its terms.

Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]no

In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by default
For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4 by default
For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by default

Directory containing linux kernel source code []

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
* Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.23.1-21.fc7/CiscoVPN".
* The VPN service will *NOT* be started automatically at boot time.
* Kernel source from "" will be used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]y

Making module
./driver_build.sh
Cisco Systems VPN Client Version BUILDVER_STRING
Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

usage:
./driver_build.sh 'kernel_src_dir'

'kernel_src_dir' is the directory containing the linux kernel sour
ce

Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

Regards,
venugopal
Alexander Griesser on 2007-11-27 09:36:13 wrote:
Well, I also wrote that the linux kernel source is missing and you need to
have it installed in order to compile the cisco vpn client module.

Dunno why you don't seem to get my e-mails, plese check your spamfilter,
I sent them to you now about three or four times just to be sure.
Guest on 2007-12-18 22:19:44 wrote:
Hi I tried to install version 4.8.01.0640-k9 without patch and I obtained this message:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.9-1mdv/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

What do do now?
Alexander Griesser on 2008-01-03 09:48:25 wrote:
Please let's discuss all these issues in the newly created forum:

This comment system is not suitable for debugging such stuff.
Thanks!
Guest on 2008-01-23 09:48:34 wrote:
Error with <BR />cisco_ipsec.ko\\\': -102870984 Success<BR />>Failed (insmod)<BR /><BR />I had to solve. The problem was with the Firewall !!!<BR />Normally most users have started Firewall, but it is necesary to allow IPsec protocol and for other VPN clients OpenVPN protocol !!!! <BR />
Guest on 2008-04-06 10:37:53 wrote:
You are my savior, man - thanks!

Cheers,
trevora@sbcglobal.net
Guest on 2008-08-29 21:56:27 wrote:
home/gotschlich/Documentos/VPNCisco/vpnclient2/GenDefs.h:113: error: conflicting types for Ďuintptr_tí
include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of Ďuintptr_tí was here
with latest version
Mr Griesser help me ...
Thanks in Advnce
Alexander Griesser on 2008-09-01 22:51:02 wrote:
Please check out my support forum, such issues are discussed in there.

BTW: At the top of this posting you'll see that this patch is _OUTDATED_, there's a newer one. Check out the projects page:

and the forum

Your comment (HTML tags will be stripped !!):

To verify You are not a bot, type down text from this image.

Your try: